Tuesday 29 January 2008

Me and my cell

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this blog I'm taking a course called Information retrieval and new new media and so this post is also an assignment in that course. Just so you that happened upon this blog get an idea of why I would sit around and write about my cellphone.

I've got a couple of cells but the one I'm currently using is a SE K750i. I bought it a few years ago because I don't own a digital camera and neither do I own an mp3 player and this phone has both. It was the first phone (to my knowledge) that was sold, in Sweden, with a 2 mega pixel camera and so I hoped I'd be able to use it to take pictures with. As it turns out I underestimated the need of optics and so I hardly ever use the camera function other than to document things on the fly so to speak (it's sometimes useful for taking notes of whiteboards in school with as an example).

The phone takes Memory sticks up to 4 GB (I only have a 1 GB though) which comes in handy when you want to use it as an mp3 player, something I do on a regular basis. It also has the ability to play FM radio and mpeg-4 videos, two things I don't use quite as often.

There are a bunch of features I never use on the phone such as GPRS, Bluetooth, modem and mms. Most of those I don't use since I can't afford to activate them. Bluetooth I don't use since I don't have any in my computer and I haven't found any other use for it either. There is also an IrDA port (something I've never used either) and the ability to connect the phone to a USB port. That should cover all the communication abilities of the phone, except of course the basic abilities of calling and sending text messages.

The phone also has a slew of features to long to list here but there is a longer list over at gsmarena.com that might be interesting to check out for specially interested.

One thing that I thought could be interesting to note though is that it supports WAP 2.0 and MIDP. Something that means that the phone could be used for quite a lot of things. There are, as an example, already a whole bunch of games to buy and download to the phone. Other than that my guess would be that only the imagination is the limit of what you can do really. As an example people has started using cell phones with WiFi as a wireless mouse. I'm definitely not sure that can be done with my phone but considering it has Bluetooth and Java support I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Well, that's pretty much it. To finish off I can say that the features I use most on my phone (except for the telephone part) is the phone book, the mp3 player, sms, the alarm clock (otherwise I wouldn't get up in the morning), the calendar and the timer (very useful when cooking or doing laundry).

No comments: