Wednesday 13 August 2008

Tropic Thunder premiers tonight

In the USA the film 'Tropic Thunder' premiers tonight and since I have to wait until at least the 18th of September to see it I thought I would have a look around the internet and see if there is any more news about the film and I soon find out that yes there is.

For starters they have made a "mocumentary". Actually, they have not made a complete one but at least they have made a trailer and a site. It's called 'Rain of Madness' and just the site itself is worth visiting. It takes a lot of inspiration from the documentary that was made about Coppola's 'Apocalypse Now', 'Hearts of Darkness', and so it is filled with totally crazy things.

They have also made a viral video, that is also a bit insane or should I say in a true Jack Black and Ben Stiller spirit. It of course also includes the third main actor of the film, Robert Downey Jr and what is supposed to be Stiller's nephew although I have no idea whether that is true or not but it would not surprise if it was true.

What personally interests me a bit about these things around the film is that these things, together with the three sites for each of the characters [1] [2] [3], tries to draw on the power of the internet for advertisement in a relatively new way and that is through viral advertisement, well new to me at least even though the concept has been around since the late 90's. Which of course include this very blog post but I on the other hand look forward to this film so much that I do not mind helping in marketing it a bit.

By the way, do not miss the trailer for this film over at Apple and you can also find the review for the film over at Variety.

No comments: