Saturday 9 February 2008

What is politics good for ...

... when religion controls the world?

I watched a video on Youtube the other day, it was an act by Marcus Brigstocke concerning religion. While it was funny it also got me thinking, which I'm sure was also one of Brigstocke's goals when he made the thing. While thinking is usually something that I detest and that makes my head hurt it made me rather sad actually this time. Because the more I thunk about religion and the fact that the great star of democracy called US of A just barely drag itself into the land of democracy these days when they climb over the great 50% threshold of people participating in the election, I came to the conclusion that it's no real bloody point to the whole thing.

Bare with me here for a second (or ten), I vote and I participate in the democratic process in my own country and I hate when people say that there isn't any point to go to the urns because it doesn't really matter who is in power since we are going to have just about the same government anyway. While this is more true for USA than my own country it still isn't an excuse for not voting in my opinion. If you don't participate you can't sit around and complain either and since I love complainin' I'm also votin' ;)

So what do I mean when I say that there is no point? Well, lately I've come to the conclusion that no matter what cool ideas our politicians come up with it's all going to come down to religion in the end any way. Today we, in the west, live in a rather un-religious world but many parts of it is still controlled by the religious
ethics and rhetoric and so no matter what great strategy we come up with in the end there is always going to be a bloody religious nut standing in the way of progress and peace.

So there you have it good folks, if there is something we really should work towards it's the abolishment of religion and then we can start thinking about political agendas because not until then will there be any point to doing something about the political aspect of things. Until we have a world that isn't controlled by religious believes I'll just quote Rage Against the Machine, "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" and keep living with respect of my fellow man but kick against the pricks.

/Peace

No comments: