Thursday 15 April 2010

Twitterfeed part 2

A while back, or if we should be really honest I should probably say a few years ago, I fiddled around with a service called Twitterfeed. Which essentially is a service that 'automagically' link your blog feed (as an example) to Twitter, among other things. I even wrote a quick note about it on this blog. I came to talk to a mate of mine about this the other day as he's a politician and it's an election year over here. We spoke about web presence and the lack of it that his party has according to a study that was published in a Swedish tech paper (NyTeknik). This lead to some activity from his part in his party on a local level which I guess is a good thing but it also lead me to look into it again too ... which is far more important, or possibly not depending from which point you view the world I guess.

Either way, it would seem that Twitterfeed has come a long way from where it was a few years ago. For one thing the interface is much better and for an other they have made the service a bit more dynamic so you can link it to more social networking tools then just Twitter and it also seems to accept a few different type of feeds now which, from what I can remember, it didn't do earlier. So it would seem that it is time to start using it again ... now if I only updated my blog a bit more often.

To make this post completely incomprehensible lets move back to the subject of benefit or not with linking feeds to Twitter and using Twitter. I know people speak against using Twitter as a sort of megaphone or billboard and instead believe that Twitter should be used as a way to start or keep a dialog going. I have to say that I totally agree with those people, so people that only use their Twitter accounts to link blog feeds will eventually end up with absolutely nobody following them on Twitter. Thus completely killing the purpose of linking the feed to Twitter to begin with. However I also do believe that a feed linked to Twitter can generate debate if used correctly. Which is why I do believe Twitterfeed has an essential purpose to fill for us that can't be bothered to code the whole thing ourselves.

No comments: