Saturday 3 April 2010

A tiny update

I must admit that I blushed a little when I noticed a link to this blog on a mate's site. Especially considering that I haven't updated this site in about 6 months. Somebody less stubborn than me would probably come to the conclusion that if I haven't updated this site in 6 months time I really should just abandon it all together but I'm afraid I'm way to stubborn for that. So instead I'll bore you with yet an other update.

To the surprise of some people I've actually been employed for the past 10 months. I've been spending my time trying to help customers of an ISP understand why they don't have any internet at the moment amongst other things. Of course most of that time is spent tearing my hair out trying to get people to understand some basic things about how computers and adsl connections actually work and that 90% of the time it's because their equipment at home is broken and not because the ISP is an evil money grubbing devil that tries to make their lives miserable.

But while I'm not doing that I've tried to get a better grip on computer networks. That is also what led me to my mate's site since I was looking into easy and secure ways to communicate with my home computer while I'm out and about. My main objective was to get a somewhat dynamic solution so I wasn't bound to one single program since I then would be limited to waiting for that program to support the system I'm currently on. So I checked out his article on 'VNC over SSH' which is exactly what I was looking for. Even if I'd have preferred a solution where I only needed one program to achieve what I was looking for. This solution however means I can connect a Linux/Windows/Mac or what ever system to my home box in a secure manner without making any changes to the setup on my home system. An other good thing is that it even allows me to connect my Android phone to my home system.

Well, that's what I've been doing lately. Well that and being horribly bad at keeping in touch with my friends and family as usual, sorry about that everybody. I'll try my best to get my head out of the sand soon actually go visit people.

No comments: