Friday 5 September 2008

Punk rockers don't have no flowers in their hair

Ok, I know this tune isn't really new or anything but I was just sitting around browsing the genre Punk on YouTube and stumbled on Sandi Thom's 'I Wish I was a Punk Rocker' and so I watched it. In all honesty I do like the tune but what the *insert strong word here* is up with the lyrics? She sings and I quote "I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair ...". I have to admit that I wasn't a punk rocker during the age of Punk but I have both seen and known a few late 80s early 90s punk rockers and from what I know about that particular genre of music and life style the only way a punk rocker would get flowers in their hair would be if they fell alseep in a garden and the flowers got stuck in their hair.

To me it seems more like Thom is mashing the hippies (and the anti-war demonstrations from the late 60s and early 70s) together with the Punks just to get a cool sounding lyric or even just to get to the title of the tune. Not that I really mind but at the same time it just seems wrong to me. Possibly because I still have my heart and soul in the Punk genre even though I've never looked like one.

Edit:
I've been corrected by Jeffrey Lewis.

No comments: