Sunday 16 March 2008

Weird Memories (80s revival)

This weekend I've had a bit of an 80s revival, as an example I watched Rumble Fish last night. A Coppola film that anybody that grew up during the 70s and/or early 80s should have to watch in my opinion, so if you haven't seen it then find it quickly and see it.

As with all 80s revivals there is of course music involved but for me it is for some odd reason not the usual music. Something I come back to every time I start thinking back to the 80s is a band called 'Los Ronaldos'. It's a Spanish band and as far as I know they haven't made any tunes in English (I could of course be very wrong about that though). They made one hit song (as far as I know) called 'Adiós papá'. As far as I can tell it's one of the major hits in Spain of all times, since it is featured on the Spanish version of SingStar (a Playstation 2 game). Anyway, what is weird is that I personally never saw this band however my bro did.

When he was about 18 he went through Europe by train during a summer with a couple of friends. He met a couple of Spanish girls somewhere in Europe and then met up with them again in their home town in the northern part of Spain. While he was there he went to see Los Ronaldos at a concert and also bought a CD of them. So a few weeks later he comes back home and tells me this whole story (me several years younger than him at the time) and we listened to the disc together. I don't know if it was the music or his story that made me absolutely fall in love with this band at the time, I listened to that disc on repeat for months to come and for years after that I always put it on during the first days of spring.

A few years later I had the opportunity to study Spanish in school and I ended up listening through the disc again and also translating several of the songs. I've never been to Spain nor bought any of their other records though so I'm still not sure what it is with this disc that still has me spellbound each time I listen through it. It could be the fantasy of summer, music, freedom and adventure of course and that would also explain why I've never felt the urge to go down to the northern parts of Spain and try to experience all that my bro told me about the place.

So except for the fact that my main 80s memory isn't my own, why am I telling this story? No reason really, but I thought it might be worth a thought to think why we remember things the way we do. Why is it always the good things we remember? And why do I almost always only remember the bad things? Food for thought maybe?

No comments: